Search This Blog

Monday, August 15, 2011

Mommy School

So I was talking with my good friend Amanda the other day. We used to teach middle school together at GAC and are both stay at home moms now. Although we love being home with our babies, this time of year makes us ache just a bit for the excitement of setting up classrooms and getting new class lists. It is just a fun time of year for teachers. She had mentioned wanting to do some stuff with her kids and it was all the push I needed to get started doing some fun little activities with Marin. You know, put these education degrees to use.

Hopefully I can get into gear and get a few activities ready because winter is just around the corner. And we have a pretty busy baby and by the time winter leaves, we will have a busy toddler.....plus a newborn. I have found tons of great resources online and am so excited to get some things together for her. So maybe when we have been cooped up inside on another snowy day and we can't stand the sight of each other's face for another second, these little activity bags may save the day.

Our first week is COLORS!
Well, we were going to have a little "science" water table out of a tub and her colorful blocks and straws. She can splash and splash! But I think our hot days may be over. (Thanks for the idea, Amanda!)

PUDDING PAINTING!!!
Just make some pudding and add a some food coloring....safe, edible finger paint for little ones.

Some felt "play mats". 

Up close: some fabric taggies, buttons, shoe laces with beads, velcro animal to take off and on, zipper, and fabric patch.
Zipper and shoe laces are two of her favorites so I had to add those! 

Story time :o)- I had the velcro picture cards for Brown Bear Brown Bear from when I worked with autistic kids.
It is so non-verbal kiddos can retell a story. Lots of fun. But Marin loves taking the pictures off and on, off and on. 

MUSIC TIME!
Marin loves music so I created a playlist on i-tunes of a few songs about colors from my teaching stash of CDS.
We play the songs and shake our bottles and bells!
(We actually did this in the morning. Marin had so much fun. She could shake with one hand and chew on one with the other hand. Pictures and video to come. )

Just plain, old pipe cleaners with colored bells threaded through. 


Mini bottles that are curved for easy holding...filled with colored beads, sequins,  googly eyes, glitter,  and pom poms.
I thought about putting more stuff in there but I was afraid it wouldn't shake as well. 

Farm is going to be the next theme because I still have some yard sale finds Marin hasn't seen yet. And our free zoo has a neat petting farm I would like to take her too before it gets too cold. (And, yes, it is definitely cooling off here!)

No comments: