Search This Blog

Monday, August 2, 2010

If you build it, they will come.

Burke called me at 9pm on Friday to tell me they suckered him into an overnight trip. But he followed it with, "You wanna come?" I said sure, of course and threw some things in a bag. I got to the airport and realized I had no idea where I was going. Well, was I in for a treat. We were off to Cedar Rapids, IOWA!! Woohoo! Big, happening city with lots of corn. We wanted to build a big baseball field so that dead players could come out to play but we didn't have enough time. Maybe next time, Iowa.

Here I am with Captain Brednich. Can never get enough of those awkward arm pictures, huh?


Although, I should have taken the 18 trillion things I need to read for graduate school, I took one of our new book fair books to read instead. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society is an adorable book about a young writer in 1946 that writes letters back and forth to a quirky community in Guernsey. They formed a literary society to "distract" them from the terrible times of German occupation and she learns of all their war and survival stories through their letters. It has it funny parts, sad parts, sweet parts. Loved each of the charaters! (I did picture Guernsey to be a lot like Stars Hollow in the 40s during a horrible war without Lorielai and Rory. But Stars Hollow anyways.....) Read it. It's cute.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved this book. One of my all time favorites!!! Love the sewing machine too! I know you will make some wonderful things with it!!!

Anonymous said...

By the way, I meant to sign that.
Love you lots, DeeDee

Sarah said...

To be honest, I couldn't get into this book. I think it's because of the format. Maybe I'll give it another shot, though.

heather byars said...

the guernsey book is amazing! i read it and then made matt read it, and then he made his mom read it, and then we have loaned it out to i don't know how many people!! cute sewing projects. i expect you to make something for audrey and liam as well!! love you and miss you.